MomWise

A very wise mom shared some Mom Wisdom with me and it applies more often than I would like to admit. Here goes: "There is nothing more humbling than children."

Monday, May 01, 2006

Carnival for the Kids

I live about 10 minutes from my sister. She has two girls 2nd grade and Kinder. I don't have to tell you that my two girls 1st grade and Kinder are really good friends with her kids.

My sister told me that her 2nd grade Girl Scout troop (for which she is the leader) was hosting a booth (washer toss) at a carnival on Saturday. So after the soccer game I packed my girls up and headed over (to the elementary school that both my sister and I went to K-5).

The weather was gorgeous. I was hanging out talking with my sister and my sister's friends while the kids were off having fun. They got their faces painted, made s'mores and in general were having a great time with their cousins. My sister was helping out with their booth and I was just sitting and talking.

One of my sister's friends comes over to me and says "So, how long are you stuck her for?" I almost laughed to myself and I was almost offended. I guess she was "stuck" there because her daughter is in the Girl Scout troop and was supposed to be "working" at the booth. She made me feel almost stupid for coming just for fun. After my complete mental workup of the situation I finally said, "Well, I guess when my kids are done having fun I will leave." She walked off and did not speak to me for the rest of the event.

Apparently I am a magnet for self absorbed people who only do things for their kids out of some strange obligation. WTF?

2 Comments:

  • At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really, what was her deal? I cannot stand people like that. God forbid you have a good time with your kids. GASP.

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Trisha said…

    Anne, I know I am the Girl Scout leader for my younger daughter.

    Jamie, I have no idea what I was thinking doing something fun for the kids....Apparently that makes me weird. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home