MomWise

A very wise mom shared some Mom Wisdom with me and it applies more often than I would like to admit. Here goes: "There is nothing more humbling than children."

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Coaching Fun

Oh the surprises never end. One parent from the soccer team seriously asked me to reschedule 4 out of 8 of our games because they signed their daughter up for volleyball and soccer at the same time. I did not even respond to the email. I just couldn't. There are 8 kids on each team. They did not care about the other 15 families involved in the event - only them and their daughter.

Instead of splitting the difference between volleyball and soccer they have missed 4 out of the 7 games we have played. Since one other girl has a broken arm we have had very few subs and it has not been fun.

So yesterday they show up at the game 5 minutes before the game is to start. I swear these people are so time challenged they may be late to their own funeral. The dad comes right over to me and says that they will be leaving at half time because their daughter has a birthday party to go to. I was so shocked by this announcement especially since 2 of the other moms had gone to great effort to plan a pizza party for the kids after the game. I could not stop myself. I looked right at him and said, "Well, that would have been good information this morning when I was making my substitution schedule." I was furious. So I did not warm the team up I just sat down and figured a new schedule (one other player just did not bother to show up! Her mom is a single mother of 3 so I cut her huge slack.).

I realize it is a recreational team but it is a TEAM, right?

The pizza party was fun. I walked up after everyone else was already there (including my daughter) because I was talking to the other coach and collecting all my equipment after the game. As I walked up the kids started chanting, "Coach Trisha is #1" That makes it all worth it in the end.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It sounds like some of the other parents are not being considerate at all of the other kids and parents having schedules and obligations, too! That's frustrating. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home